5 steps to more effective leadership
February 14 2018
Most successful businesses have one thing in common: a capable leader. But being an effective leader is about more than just making big decisions and delegating. Here are five practices you can work on to become a better leader:
- Learn continuously. You know what works, what doesn't and why -- that's experience. But you should also be passionate about learning. Always look toward the future, implement the latest trends and technology, expand your knowledge base and work to perfect new skills.
- Listen attentively. Sharing information in a clear, straightforward way is only half the battle. A quality leader also listens, not just to respond but also to understand. By actively listening and considering ideas and opinions, you'll be able to gain greater insight and provide better solutions.
- Sweat the details. Complement big-picture thinking with a focus on detail, accuracy and organization. As a leader, it's your job to break down complex long-term goals into smaller, more manageable tasks and help the team realize these goals.
- Provide engaging, inspirational mentorship. Recognize individuality and adjust your leadership style accordingly. This will inspire a free exchange of ideas, creating a more fulfilling mentorship experience for everyone involved.
- Set the tone. If your colleagues see you putting in the work, they will follow your example. Lead with integrity and transparency and always be willing to accept responsibility, not only for the success of the team but also for the failures.
Quality leaders adopt their own style, pulling from other great examples. Pay attention to the leaders in your life, even those outside of the real estate industry. What about them inspires you, and how can you work those ideas into your career?